When we say the Secure Telephony Identity Revisited (STIR) and Secure Handling of Asserted...
Why Not All Robocall Compliance Software is Created Equal
What are some factors that a Communication Service Provider (CSP) should evaluate to see if they are choosing the best robocall compliance software for their needs?
In this article, we cover:
- What is Robocall Mitigation Software?
- What are some factors to consider when evaluating Robocall Compliance Software?
- What are some of the features of YouMailPS robocall compliance software?
What Is Robocall Mitigation Software
Robocall mitigation software is designed to help Communication Service Providers (CSPs) reduce the number of unwanted robocalls that their customers receive. Robocalls, of course, are automated phone calls that are often used for telemarketing or fraud, such as identity spoofing or other scams.
There are a number of companies that offer robocall mitigation software specifically for CSPs. These companies typically use a combination of technologies to identify and block unwanted robocalls.
Some of the key features of robocall mitigation software for CSPs may include:
- Authentication: Most robocall compliance software begins with authentication of the caller, using the STIR-SHAKEN caller ID framework. This technology that the caller is who they say they are, to ensure that it is not being spoofed by an unwanted caller. It’s a critical step, required by the FCC for most CSPs, and supports Know Your Customer (KYC) processes.
- Call Analysis: This feature uses algorithms, and data analytics to identify and filter out unwanted calls based on patterns and characteristics of known robocalls.
- Dataset Size: Some robocall Compliance Software companies offer far more data points than others to help find and block robocalls.
- Call management: This feature allows CSPs to either completely block specific types of calls and callers, such as unauthenticated calls, those from international numbers, those with no caller ID, or those the robocall mitigation software has otherwise deemed dangerous. Better software gives scores and rankings, which allow the CSP to have more control over their networks.
- AI & Machine Learning: The best robocall compliance software uses machine learning to analyze communication content.
Overall, robocall mitigation software can be an effective way for CSPs to help reduce the number of unwanted robocalls that their customers receive, and to comply with the FCC, avoiding their often hard penalties. (The FCC recently shut down a non-compliant CSP.)
Why Are Some Robocall Compliance Companies Better Than Others?
In addition to how a company performs in each of the above items, there are a number of performative factors that can be evaluated when looking at robocall compliance software:
- Accuracy: The most effective robocall compliance software is able to accurately identify and rank or block unwanted calls while allowing legitimate calls to pass through. Companies that have a high rate of false positives (legitimate calls being blocked) or false negatives (unwanted calls getting through) may not be as effective at mitigating robocalls.
- Technology: The specific technologies and algorithms used by a robocall mitigation company can also impact its effectiveness. Companies that use massive datasets, overlapping algorithms, and AI/ML authentication and call analysis technologies, for example, will be better able to identify and block unwanted calls.
- Choice & Options: Some robocall mitigation software companies just block calls. Others offers scores, allowing CSPs to make decisions.
- Follow Through: Some robocall compliance software provides additional data that can be used as evidential proof of wrongdoing, therefore supporting legal actions against bad actors.
- Scalability: The ability of a robocall mitigation company to scale its services to meet the needs of its customers is also an important factor. Companies that are able to handle large volumes of calls and have the infrastructure in place to support growth may be better equipped to meet the needs of CSPs.
Overall, the best robocall mitigation companies are those that are able to accurately identify and block unwanted calls while allowing legitimate calls to pass through, and that have the technology, infrastructure, and resources in place to support the needs of their customers.
What Are Some Of The Features Of YouMailPS Robocall Compliance Software?
All robocall compliance software companies use deterministic data, such as identifying malformed numbers, non-NANPA numbers, and numbers that do not pass the allocation test. And many robocall compliance software companies also rely upon crowd-sourced data to some degree, which can skew results as may be the case with some instances such as calls involving telemarketing or debt collection.
Where YouMailPS differentiates itself is that first of all, it has billions of datapoints from the consumer side of its business, analyzing voice messages left behind as voicemail by unwanted robocalls. In addition, YouMailPS leverages AI, machine learning and content-based analytics to determine normal calls vs. robocalls, legal/wanted calls vs. unwanted/illegal robocalls, and algorithmically scores telephone numbers.
They also have decades of experience within, with billions of calls processed for consumers, communication service providers, enterprise, and government segments for business optimization as well as unwanted robocall mitigation and enforcement.
Nobody offers what YouMailPS has in terms of evidential proof (e.g. ground truth) of what is actually occurring with unwanted robocall campaigns.
In comparing they key features, they offer the most data with the most sophisticated processing, allowing for unprecedented accuracy, more options, and the ability to instantly scale how you monitor your robocall compliance. YouMailPS can show you, in just 15 minutes, how to reduce or eliminate the risks of fines (or worse) to your carrier network >